|2008||4/18/2008||12/18/2008||See note 3|
|2011||4/13/2011||1/15/2012||See note 4|
|2013||4/03/2013||11/30/2013||See note 5|
|2014||4/14/2014||12/06/2014||See notes 6, 7|
|2015||4/19/2015||1/14/2016||See note 8|
|2017||4/15/2017||12/15/2017||Mostly out on April 13th, 2017|
|2018||4/20/2018||11/23/2018||Much of the lake was ice free prior to April 20th.|
|2019||4/14/2019||Ice out seemed to take forever this year!|
- The criterion for ice-out is when the lake is sufficiently free of ice that one can boat round the lake within a few feet of shore (essentially completely free of ice).
- The criterion for ice-in is when the lake is first completely covered with ice for the winter.
- Ice started out on the 16th and loons arrived on the 17th.
- First ice-in on 12/19/2011 then out a few days later.
- Considerable open water along the north shore by mid-March and there were loons observed in late March.
- David said the ice went out between 4 and 5 pm on April 14th. I don’t think he’s ever put that fine a point on it. He also said that the loons were back on the 12th, a point on which I agree.
- The lake initially froze over completely on November 29, 2014 but about half of it melted off again a few days later. It didn’t fully refreeze until the night of December 6th.
- The lake was completely covered with ice on January 6, 2016 but an area opened up again a few days later and didn’t completely refreeze until January 14, 2016